- Hudson, E.J., Creanza, N. & Shizuka, D. The role of early acoustic experience in song discrimination.
36. Shizuka, D. & Johnson, A.E. 2019. How demographic processes shape animal social networks. Behavioral Ecology.
35. Hudson, E.J. & Shizuka, D. 2018. Nestlings and adults respond differently to conspecific dialects. Behavioral Ecology. 31: 48-56
34. Chaine A.S., Shizuka, D., Block, T.A., Zhang, L., Lyon, B.E. Accepted. Manipulating badges of status only fools strangers. Ecology Letters. 21: 1477-1485
33. Neumann, C., McDonald, D.B., Shizuka, D. Accepted. Dominance ranks, dominance ratings and linear hierarchies: a critique. Animal Behaviour.
32. Goller, M., Shizuka, D. Accepted. Evolutionary origins of vocal mimicry in oscine songbirds. Evolution Letters. 2: 417-426.
31. Rosenthal, M.F., Wilkins, M.R., Shizuka, D., and Hebets, E.A. 2018. Dynamic changes in display architecture and function across environments revealed by a systems approach to animal communication. Evolution.
30. Wilkins, M.R., Scordato, E.S.C., Semenov, G.A., Karaardiç, H., Shizuka, D., Rubtsov, A., Pap, P.L., Shen, S-F, and Safran, R.J. 2018. Global song divergence in barn swallows (Hirundo rustica): exploring the roles of genetic, geographic, and climatic distance in sympatry and allopatry. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society.
29. Lyon, B.E., Shizuka, D., and Eadie, J.M. 2018. Forum: Conspecific brood parasites can also help us understand the evolution of tolerance. Behavioral Ecology.
28. Hudson, E. and Shizuka, D. 2017. Introductory whistle is sufficient for early song recognition by Golden-crowned Sparrow nestlings. Animal Behaviour 133:83-88. [link]
27. Lyon, B. and Shizuka, D. 2017. Context-dependent response to eggs: egg retrieval versus egg rejection in a conspecific brood parasite. Animal Behaviour 132: 281-289 [link]
26. Hoke, K., Hebets, E., and Shizuka, D. 2017. Neural Circuitry for Target Selection and Action Selection in Animal Behavior. Integrative and Comparative Biology, 57(4): 808-819 [https://doi.org/10.1093/icb/icx109]
25. Martin, D., Shizuka, D., Chizinki, C., and Pope, K. 2017. Network analysis of a regional fishery: Implications for management of natural resources, and recruitment and retention of anglers. Fisheries Research, 194: 31-41 [link]
24. Chizinski, C. Martin, D., Shizuka, D. and Pope, K. 2017. Bipartite networks improve understanding of the effects of waterbody size and angling method on angler-fish interactions. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 75(1): 72-81 [https://doi.org/10.1139/cjfas-2016-0176]
23. Hubbard, J.K., Shizuka, D. and Couch, B. A. 2016. Using the scientific method to discuss brood parasitism in American coots. CourseSource. [link]
22. Shizuka, D., Lein, M.R. & Chilton, G. (2016). Range-wide geographic variation in songs of golden-crowned sparrows. The Auk. 133: 520-529. [link]
21. Shizuka, D. and Farine, D. R. (2016) Measuring the robustness of network community structure using assortativity. Animal Behaviour. 112: 237-246. [link (open access)]
20. Wilkins, M.R., Shizuka, D., Joseph, M.B., Hubbard, J.K., and Safran, R.J. (2015) Multimodal signaling in the North American barn swallow: a phenotype network approach. Proceedings of the Royal Society-B. 282: 20151574 [link]
19. Arnberg, N., Shizuka, D., Chaine, A.S. and Lyon, B.E. (2015) Social network structure in wintering golden-crowned sparrows is not correlated with kinship. Molecular Ecology. 24: 5034-5044 [link]
18. Shizuka, D. and McDonald, D. B. (2015) Network motif architecture of dominance hierarchies. Journal of the Royal Society Interface. 12: 20150080. [open access pdf] [link to original] [link to dryad data]
17. Lyon, B. E., Shizuka, D. and Eadie, J. M. (2015). Interspecific egg rejection as ecological collateral damage from selection driven by conspecific brood parasitism. Animal Behaviour. 103: 117-124. link
16. Shizuka, D., Chaine, A.S., Anderson, J., Johnson, O., Laursen I.M., and Lyon, B.E. (2014) Across-year social stability shapes network structure in wintering migrant sparrows. Ecology Letters. 17: 998-1007. [open access version] [link to original] [link to dryad data]
15. Shizuka, D. (2014) Early song discrimination by nestling sparrows in the wild. Animal Behaviour 92: 19-24. [open access pdf] [link to original]
14. Pinter-Wollman, N., Hobson, E.A., Smith, J.E., Edelman, A.J., Shizuka, D., Waters, J.S., de Silva, S., Prager, S.D., Sasaki, T., Wittemyer, G. Fewell, J., and McDonald, D.B. (2014) Response to comments on the dynamics of network dynamics. Behavioral Ecology 25: 260-261
13. Pinter-Wollman, N., Hobson, E.A., Smith, J.E., Edelman, A.J., Shizuka, D., Waters, J.S., de Silva, S., Prager, S.D., Sasaki, T., Wittemyer, G. Fewell, J., and McDonald, D.B. (2014) Dynamics of animal social networks: Analytical, conceptual and theoretical advances. Behavioral Ecology 25: 242-255 [link]
12. Chaine, A. S., Roth, A. M., Shizuka, D. & Lyon, B.E. (2013) Experimental confirmation that avian plumage traits function as multiple status signals in winter contests. Animal Behaviour 86: 409-415. [link]
11. Shizuka, D. and Lyon, B.E. (2013) Family dynamics through time: Brood reduction followed by parental compensation with aggression and favoritism. Ecology Letters 16: 315-322 [open access pdf]. [link to original]
10. McDonald, D. B. and Shizuka, D. (2013) Comparative transitive and temporal orderliness in dominance networks. Behavioral Ecology 24: 511-520. [open access pdf] [link to original]
9. Shizuka, D. and McDonald, D.B. (2012) A social network perspective on measurements of dominance hierarchies. Animal Behaviour 83: 925-934. [open access pdf] [link to original]
8. Arnold, T. W., Shizuka, D., Lyon, B.E., Pelayo, J.T., Mehl, K. R., Taylor, J. J., Reed, W. L. and Amundson, C. L. (2011) Use of nape tags for marking offspring of precocial waterbirds. Waterbirds 34: 312-318. [open access pdf] [link to original]
7. Shizuka, D. and Lyon, B.E. (2011) Hosts improve the reliability of chick recognition by delaying the hatching of brood parasitic eggs. Current Biology. 21:515-519. [link to original]
6. Chaine, A.S., Tjernell, K.A., Shizuka, D. and Lyon, B.E. (2011) Sparrows use multiple status signals in winter social flocks. Animal Behaviour 81: 447-453. [open access pdf] [link to original]
5. Lyon, B. E. and Shizuka, D. (2010) Communal breeding: Clever defense against cheats. Current Biology 20: R931-R933. [link to original]
3. Dickinson, J.L., Euparadorn, M., Greenwald, K., Mitra, C. and Shizuka, D. (2009) Cooperation and competition: Nepotistic tolerance and intrasexual aggression in western bluebird winter groups. Animal Behaviour 77: 867-872. [open access pdf] [link to original]