- Hudson, E.J., Creanza, N. & Shizuka, D. The role of early acoustic experience in song discrimination.
41. Strauss, E.D., Shizuka, D. & Holekamp, K.E. Accepted. Juvenile rank acquisition influences fitness independent of adult rank. Proceedings of the Royal Society-B. (bioRxiv, doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/812362)
40. Shizuka, D. & E.J. Hudson. Accepted. To accept or reject heterospecific mates: Behavioral decisions underlying premating isolation. Philsophical Transactions of the Royal Society, B.
39. Shizuka, D. & B.E. Lyon. Accepted. How to learn to recognize conspecific brood parasitic chicks. Philsophical Transactions of the Royal Society, B.
38. Lyon, B.E. & D. Shizuka. In Press. Extreme offspring ornamentation in American coots is favored by selection within families, not benefits to conspecific brood parasites. PNAS. https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2019/12/24/1913615117.short
37. Shizuka, D. & Johnson, A.E. 2019. The long view on demographic effects on social networks: a response to comments on Shizuka and Johnson. Behavioral Ecology.
36. Shizuka, D. & Johnson, A.E. 2019. How demographic processes shape animal social networks. Behavioral Ecology.https://doi.org/10.1093/beheco/arz083
35. Hudson, E.J. & Shizuka, D. 2018. Nestlings and adults respond differently to conspecific dialects. Behavioral Ecology. 31: 48-56
34. Chaine A.S., Shizuka, D., Block, T.A., Zhang, L., Lyon, B.E. 2018. Manipulating badges of status only fools strangers. Ecology Letters. 21: 1477-1485
33. Neumann, C., McDonald, D.B., Shizuka, D. 2018. Dominance ranks, dominance ratings and linear hierarchies: a critique. Animal Behaviour. 144: e1-e16.
32. Goller, M., Shizuka, D. 2018. Evolutionary origins of vocal mimicry in oscine songbirds. Evolution Letters. 2: 417-426.
31. Rosenthal, M.F., Wilkins, M.R., Shizuka, D., and Hebets, E.A. 2018. Dynamic changes in display architecture and function across environments revealed by a systems approach to animal communication. Evolution.
30. Wilkins, M.R., Scordato, E.S.C., Semenov, G.A., Karaardiç, H., Shizuka, D., Rubtsov, A., Pap, P.L., Shen, S-F, and Safran, R.J. 2018. Global song divergence in barn swallows (Hirundo rustica): exploring the roles of genetic, geographic, and climatic distance in sympatry and allopatry. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society.
29. Lyon, B.E., Shizuka, D., and Eadie, J.M. 2018. Forum: Conspecific brood parasites can also help us understand the evolution of tolerance. Behavioral Ecology.
28. Hudson, E. and Shizuka, D. 2017. Introductory whistle is sufficient for early song recognition by Golden-crowned Sparrow nestlings. Animal Behaviour 133:83-88.
27. Lyon, B. and Shizuka, D. 2017. Context-dependent response to eggs: egg retrieval versus egg rejection in a conspecific brood parasite. Animal Behaviour 132: 281-289
26. Hoke, K., Hebets, E., and Shizuka, D. 2017. Neural Circuitry for Target Selection and Action Selection in Animal Behavior. Integrative and Comparative Biology, 57(4): 808-819 [https://doi.org/10.1093/icb/icx109]
25. Martin, D., Shizuka, D., Chizinki, C., and Pope, K. 2017. Network analysis of a regional fishery: Implications for management of natural resources, and recruitment and retention of anglers. Fisheries Research, 194: 31-41
24. Chizinski, C. Martin, D., Shizuka, D. and Pope, K. 2017. Bipartite networks improve understanding of the effects of waterbody size and angling method on angler-fish interactions. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 75(1): 72-81
23. Hubbard, J.K., Shizuka, D. and Couch, B. A. 2016. Using the scientific method to discuss brood parasitism in American coots. CourseSource.
22. Shizuka, D., Lein, M.R. & Chilton, G. (2016). Range-wide geographic variation in songs of golden-crowned sparrows. The Auk. 133: 520-529.
21. Shizuka, D. and Farine, D. R. (2016) Measuring the robustness of network community structure using assortativity. Animal Behaviour. 112: 237-246.
20. Wilkins, M.R., Shizuka, D., Joseph, M.B., Hubbard, J.K., and Safran, R.J. (2015) Multimodal signaling in the North American barn swallow: a phenotype network approach. Proceedings of the Royal Society-B. 282: 20151574
19. Arnberg, N., Shizuka, D., Chaine, A.S. and Lyon, B.E. (2015) Social network structure in wintering golden-crowned sparrows is not correlated with kinship. Molecular Ecology. 24: 5034-5044
18. Shizuka, D. and McDonald, D. B. (2015) Network motif architecture of dominance hierarchies. Journal of the Royal Society Interface. 12: 20150080.
17. Lyon, B. E., Shizuka, D. and Eadie, J. M. (2015). Interspecific egg rejection as ecological collateral damage from selection driven by conspecific brood parasitism. Animal Behaviour. 103: 117-124. link
16. Shizuka, D., Chaine, A.S., Anderson, J., Johnson, O., Laursen I.M., and Lyon, B.E. (2014) Across-year social stability shapes network structure in wintering migrant sparrows. Ecology Letters. 17: 998-1007.
15. Shizuka, D. (2014) Early song discrimination by nestling sparrows in the wild. Animal Behaviour 92: 19-24. [open access pdf] [link to original]
14. Pinter-Wollman, N., Hobson, E.A., Smith, J.E., Edelman, A.J., Shizuka, D., Waters, J.S., de Silva, S., Prager, S.D., Sasaki, T., Wittemyer, G. Fewell, J., and McDonald, D.B. (2014) Response to comments on the dynamics of network dynamics. Behavioral Ecology 25: 260-261
13. Pinter-Wollman, N., Hobson, E.A., Smith, J.E., Edelman, A.J., Shizuka, D., Waters, J.S., de Silva, S., Prager, S.D., Sasaki, T., Wittemyer, G. Fewell, J., and McDonald, D.B. (2014) Dynamics of animal social networks: Analytical, conceptual and theoretical advances. Behavioral Ecology 25: 242-255
12. Chaine, A. S., Roth, A. M., Shizuka, D. & Lyon, B.E. (2013) Experimental confirmation that avian plumage traits function as multiple status signals in winter contests. Animal Behaviour 86: 409-415.
11. Shizuka, D. and Lyon, B.E. (2013) Family dynamics through time: Brood reduction followed by parental compensation with aggression and favoritism. Ecology Letters 16: 315-322
10. McDonald, D. B. and Shizuka, D. (2013) Comparative transitive and temporal orderliness in dominance networks. Behavioral Ecology 24: 511-520.
9. Shizuka, D. and McDonald, D.B. (2012) A social network perspective on measurements of dominance hierarchies. Animal Behaviour 83: 925-934. [open access pdf] [link to original]
8. Arnold, T. W., Shizuka, D., Lyon, B.E., Pelayo, J.T., Mehl, K. R., Taylor, J. J., Reed, W. L. and Amundson, C. L. (2011) Use of nape tags for marking offspring of precocial waterbirds. Waterbirds 34: 312-318.
7. Shizuka, D. and Lyon, B.E. (2011) Hosts improve the reliability of chick recognition by delaying the hatching of brood parasitic eggs. Current Biology. 21:515-519.
6. Chaine, A.S., Tjernell, K.A., Shizuka, D. and Lyon, B.E. (2011) Sparrows use multiple status signals in winter social flocks. Animal Behaviour 81: 447-453.
5. Lyon, B. E. and Shizuka, D. (2010) Communal breeding: Clever defense against cheats. Current Biology 20: R931-R933. [link to original]
4. Shizuka, D. and Lyon, B.E. (2010) Coots use hatch order to learn to recognize and reject brood parasitic chicks. Nature 463: 223-226.
3. Dickinson, J.L., Euparadorn, M., Greenwald, K., Mitra, C. and Shizuka, D. (2009) Cooperation and competition: Nepotistic tolerance and intrasexual aggression in western bluebird winter groups. Animal Behaviour 77: 867-872. [open access pdf] [link to original]
In review/resubmission/bouncing around (and not in pre-print):
- Goller, M. and Shizuka, D. Song structure and vocal mimicry in European starlings. In Review.
- Goller, M. and Shizuka, D. Incorporation of mimicry into song by European starlings. In Review.
- Madsen, A., Vander Meiden, L., and Shizuka, D. Social partners and temperature jointly affect daily foraging activity of small birds in winter.
- Smith M, Akçay C, Shizuka D, Stern C, and Dickinson J. Extraterritorial visits in a cooperatively breeding songbird are consistent with multiple functions.
- Bangal P, Sridhar H, Shizuka D, Vander Meiden L, and Shankar K. Flock-size influences node importance and modularity in mixed-species flock networks